Films, Audio & Samples
Sample: first page of each movementSee details ➔
Buy or Borrow
To borrow items or hire parts please email SOUNZ directly at email@example.com.
This suite was originally composed for the wind band at the Glenfield Music Centre and conducted by the composer’s wife Helen.
In the process of arranging the work for the Concert Band of Takapuna Grammar School much recomposing has been done to accommodate horns. trombones, tuba and keyboard percussion.
Suite Helen has five movements:
1. Greeny Blue which is in a lively, jazzy style
2. Mystery a strange, dreamlike piece
3. Singing Ocean is the centre of the suite and was inspired by words by the New Zealand poet Ian Wedde – “ Ground Bass of hope, singing ocean of time”
4. Shuffle, a lively dance with contrasting moods
5. Round Dance, in which the musical material emerges from a single pitch and brings the suite to a boisterous conclusion.
18 Aug 2011: Performed by Takapuna Grammar School Concert Band, conducted by Andrew Uren, at the Holy Trinity Cathedral, in Auckland.