Some of today’s upcoming and established Māori musicians – including; Tama Waipara, Maisey Rika, Ria Hall, Anna Coddington, Te Awanui Reeder (Nesian Mystik), Warren Maxwell and more – are part of this new project which sees them give their own twist to some of Hirini Melbourne's songs.
In the combining of traditional and contemporary instruments, each artists’ interpretation will be different and correspond with their particular musical style. From soul to jazz, hip hop to traditional Maori.
Overseen by Hirini Melbourne's niece Peata Melbourne the album project He Rangi Paihuarere has been three years in the making, and it’s a tribute to her remarkable uncle: a researcher, composer, and expert in taonga puoro, traditional Māori instruments.
- Hinepukohurangi Maisey Rika
- Pureora Arekatera Maihi
- E Rere Te Manu Mel Davis
- Mai Te Kakano Kawiti Waetford
- Kiwi Tama Waipara
- Purerehua Teremoana Rapley
- Tihore Mai Te Rangi Ria Hall
- Whakarongo Warren Maxwell
- Prea Nei Anna Coddington
- Hora Nga Whetu Tama Waipara
- Whiti Te Marama Majic Paora
- Paimarire Te Awanui Reeder
- Korero Maori E Maitreta aka Jaime Greenslade
A tribute to the late Dr Hirini Melbourne