- for solo violin and string orchestra
- 17' 00"
1. 'S un casto amor, s' un una pieta superna'
2. 'Passa per gli occhi al core in un momento'
3. 'D'altrui pietoso e sol di se spietato'
4. 'Veggio nel bel viso, signor mio'
5. 'Non posso altra figura immaginarmi'
6. 'Se' da' prim' anni aperto un lento e poco...'
7. 'Caro m'e il sonno, e piu l'esser di sasso'
|Score (462k)||first page of each movement||© Jack Body|
The work is based on a previous composition of Jack Body, a setting for two female voices of the love sonnets of Michelangelo, composed in 1982 for dance/choreographer Michael Parmenter. Body has been fond of the melodic material composed many years ago and continued to be moved by Michelangelo’s poetry, which honours male beauty and laments the ravages of age.
In this new version, commissioned by the Japanese violinist Rieko Suzuki, Body rework the musical material, intensifying its emotional quality of convey the essence of Michelangelo’s extraordinary poems.
- Commissioned by Rieko Suzuki
|08 Feb 2008||
Kees Hilhorst (solo violin) with Ensemble Ruspoli; Netherlands
|03 Sep 2008||
Performed by Kees Hilhorst (violin) and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Scott Parkman, as part of the 2008 NZSO-SOUNZ Readings held at the Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington
|New Zealand Symphony Orchestra|
- NZSO-SOUNZ Readings (2008)
Meditations on Michelangelo by Jack Body was performed at the NZSO-SOUNZ Readings in September 2008.