- five songs for baritone (or medium voice) and piano
- 18' 00"
- 1. Time and the Child; 2. Striking a Pose; 3. Caroline beside the Sundial; 4. A Serious Literary Slip; 5. Time
|Score (53k)||Page 1 of 'A Serious Literary Slip'||© Maria Grenfell|
|Score (173k)||Pages 1-3 of 'Time and the Child'||© Maria Grenfell|
|Recording (1407k)||1. Time and the Child 1:57-2:57||© Kiwi Pacific|
This cycle of five songs for baritone and piano was awarded the Philip Neill Prize by the University of Otago in 1991. It expresses five perspectives on the concept of time, some humorous and some more contemplative.
- Text Note:
- 1. Time and the Child (Hone Tuwhare). 2. Striking a Pose (Kevin Ireland). 3. Caroline beside the Sundial (Kevin Ireland). 4. A Serious Literary Slip (Kevin Ireland). 5. Time (Allen Curnow).
- Difficulty Note:
- suitable for baritone or mezzo-soprano
|05 May 2010||
Performed by Sarah Rooney (mezzo-soprano) and Julie Coulson (piano) at St Andrew’s on The Terrace, in Wellington
Time and the Child only
- Philip Neill Memorial Prize (1991)
A Pinch of Time… , five songs for baritone and piano by Maria Grenfell. Winner of the Philip Neill Memorial Prize in Music from Otago University 1991