NZ Composer Sessions 2018
in partnership with NZSO, RNZ Concert and SOUNZ
Deadline: 26 June 2017
Call for Scores
SOUNZ is calling for orchestral scores from SOUNZ composers (max two/composer). The adjudication panel, administered by SOUNZ, consists of representatives from NZSO, RNZ Concert and CANZ, who each bring the perspective of their organisations. The panel are asked to recommend a selection of works that reflects the diversity of musical styles/voices in New Zealand composition, with a collective duration of up to 60 minutes. The 2018 recordings will take place over four days in either January or March (TBC) at the Michael Fowler Centre in Wellington.
Please note that we are unable to confirm a date for completion/publication of these recordings.
Notes and Comments
• The composer must be a SOUNZ composer. (If you are not yet a SOUNZ composer, contact email@example.com)
• The work may have been performed before. If there is an existing commercial recording of the work, it is less likely to be selected. If a commercial recording of the work is planned for the 2016-17 season, the work will not be eligible.
• The standard instrument configuration of the NZSO is: 3333; 4331; timpani; 3 percussion; harp; strings.
• The NZSO will approve the use of extra musicians and contract them accordingly. The composer will reimburse the NZSO for all costs associated with extra musician hire, including travel and accommodation.
• The NZSO will approve appropriate soloists. Composers will be responsible for contracting and liaising with soloists. Please indicate your preferred and alternate soloist choice on the application form.
• SOUNZ will assist with travel costs within NZ for composers who live outside of Wellington.
• The panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
• Complete score in PDF format
• Recording, if available, in digital format (recordings and large-file scores should be delivered using an online file sharing service such as Dropbox)
• Completed application form
• Programme note and short biography of up to 200 words each in word document
Application deadline: 9am Monday 26 June 2017
• All composers who submit scores will be advised of the panel’s selections in mid August 2017.
• Composers of the chosen works must supply PDFs of the full score and all the parts to SOUNZ, supplied in compliance with the NZSO Score and Parts Preparation Guidelines, no later than 2pm Friday 22 September 2017.
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION FORM HERE