Alistair is a Dunedin born and raised musician, craftsperson, and father of three who lives in Vogeltown, Wellington and has a B.Mus. Perf. 2000 (Massey University).
In 2011 Alistair was the recipient of a CNZ/DoC Wild Creations Artist Residency, which took him to Rakiura/Stewart Island to research, make and record taoka pūoro using mostly found materials from the Mason Bay area. More of this project can be seen here: http://taongapuoro.blogspot.co.nz
Alistair has been making and playing taonga puoro since 2000, when he attended workshops run by the ‘dynamic trio’ of Brian Flintoff, Richard Nunns and the late Hirini Melbourne. Alistair now plays, produces and composes taonga pūoro in a wide variety of settings.
Reo has three taonga puoro players (James Webster, Horomono Horo and Alistair Fraser) and two vocalists (Charles Royal, Erina Daniels). Reo perform moteatea style waiata with live electronic textures (Paddy Free).
Tahu is a trio chamber ensemble that comprises two taonga puoro performers (Henare Walmsley and Alistair Fraser) and classical guitarist (Mike Hogan), and mixes contemporary composition and improvisation techniques with the sounds of taonga pūoro. Tahu performed at Chamber Music NZ’s series at the Auckland Festival 2009. Alistair recorded, mixed and produced the group’s debut album.
Woolshed Sessions This project grew out of 5 days recording in a converted woolshed in East Takaka. The group went on to perform as “The Woolshed Sessions” nationwide and were nominated for Best Aotearoa Roots Album at the 2009 Vodaphone Music Awards. Alistair plays taonga pūoro, 12-string guitar and sings backing vocals in The Woolshed Sessions.
• Stephens Island Titi Harvest (Documentary: Dawson Dunning) 2009
• Strength of Water (Feature Film: Briar Grace-Smith) 2008
• The Big Picture (New Zealand Art Documentary: Hamish Keith) 2007
Theatre and Dance
• Te Whare Tapere. Waimango. 2010-2012
• New Pacific Theatre Ex_Isle of Strangers. Matiu/Somes Island, Wellington. 2010
• Tuawhenua. Bats Theatre, Wellington 2008
• Toni Huata Whiti 2010
• Tohu Whakawhiti 2010
• Rosy Tin Teacaddy The Homeward Stretch 2009
• Rhian Sheehan Standing in Silence 2009
• Hannah Howes Candy 2009
• The Woolshed Sessions The Woolshed Sessions 2008
• Tahu Tahu 2008
• Jess Chambers and the Firefly Orchestra 2008
• Homefire Burning Te Ahi Kā 2006