- for SATB choir, flute, 2 pianists and 3 percussionists
- 21' 00"
- Flute doubles alto flute; piano doubles celeste. Percussion includes: two glockenspiels, xylophone, maracas, bongos, guiro, vibraphone, large gong (or tam tam), rainstick, sandpaper block, suspended cymbal, 3 temple blocks, woodblock, bass drum,
- Five movements: 1. Signs; 2. Nocturne; 3. Presto; 4. Adagio; 5. Silver Whispers
|Score (134k)||Pages 23, 34, 53, 73 and 74||© Leonie Holmes|
This group of pieces for choir and instrumental ensemble grew out of a short choral fanfare entitled Silver Whisper’, commissioned by Auckland Choral in 2000. The original fanfare is now the last piece in a suite of five movements.
The texts are based around the celebration of life in its many manifestations, exploring aspects of spring and the wonders of nature, ranging from the scuttle of insects to the unearthly song of whales, and concluding with a song of praise to the Creator. A small ensemble of flute, three percussionists, and two pianos (one doubling celesta) gives a flexible group with which to provide atmospheric and varied shades of accompaniment to the singers.
- Text Note:
- Marnie Barrell
- for Auckland Choral Society
- Difficulty Note:
- Suitable for community choir of reasonable standard. Instrumentalists need to be experienced or professional.
- This suite is dedicated to Auckland Choral, conductor Peter Watts, and poet Marnie Barrell.